The village of DeRuyter in central New York State was originally called Tromptown. Jan Lincklaen, an agent for the Holland Land Co., whose territory included Cazenovia and areas south, named it. In the winter of 1653 the British had clamped an airtight blockade on the Dutch coastal cities causing serious shortages and the resulting hunger riots caused the Dutch Admiral Marten von Tromp to attempt to break the blockade. On July 31, 1653 the Dutch lost 4,000 men and 13 ships in the battle. Tromp was killed and Admiral Michiel de Ruyter was now in command. In the years following the British navy was strengthened in readiness for a second Dutch war. However widespread corruption and waste and eventually the bubonic plague in the summer of 1665 causing the death of nearly 100,000 in London gave the Dutch a chance to rebuild their fleet. In June of 1667 Admiral de Ruyter sailed up the Thames river, shelled London, destroyed many English warships and captured the British flagship the Royal Charles. De Ruyter was now a hero and Jan Lincklaen being one to "run with the tide" changed the name of Tromptown to DeRuyter and so it remains today. A "voyage of discovery" was initiated between our village and the Netherlands because no other village, town or city in the world is known to bear this name. The ship Admiral DeRuyter of the NATO fleet designated DeRuyter as their "Flagship Town" in 1982. In April of 1982 the Royal Netherlands Marine Band and members of the Dutch Navy and diplomatic legations of New York and Washington came to our community for two days of celebration in recognition of 200 continuous years of Dutch-American diplomatic relations.

The Indian name Tioughnioga (tie-oth-nee-o-ga) means "meeting of the road and waters" or more poetically "a bank of flowers" was given to our local river and lake.


Tromptown Historical Society

The Tromptown Historical Society was founded in 1975 and chartered by the State Education Department in 1978. The group's focus has been collecting and preserving historical materials of DeRuyter and surrounding areas. These are housed in our museum on Utica Street in what was formerly the bank building

Our society was also able to purchase and preserve the Seventh Day Baptist Church building. This was made possible with funds from our membership and other community members.

Our members will offer a number of programs this year, assist with genealogy searches and historical reports, and will work with the Yorkers group at the high school. We are participating in the Firemen's Field Days and are planning our second Fall Festival. Our group will be highlighted with a display at the Madison County Historical Society. Additional information can be found on the DeRuyter Schools website and the Olde Town Folks website.

The Society is actively seeking new members and we always need additional donations. Membership and donations are vital to the existence of our organization. We need members to become involved with our existing projects and welcome new ideas and suggestions for new programs.

We meet at 7:30 pm on the second Sunday of each month. We presently meet in the Town Hall but eventually expect to meet in our Seventh Day church building. We always welcome guests, visitors and prospective members at our meetings. Please join us.

Get free stats from GoStats.